Michigan Builders License Courses
Michigan Builders License Course - In Class
Obtain your 60 Michigan Builders License hours at one of our office locations. Our builders course is split into two separate 30 Hour classes which are designed to help you pass your Michigan contractors test.
+Materials (Lowest Price Guaranteed!)
Michigan Builders License Home Study Course
A Michigan Builders License is Required if you perform ANY of the following trades for hire:
- A Michigan Builders License (Contractors License) will allow you to perform ALL of the above building professions in Michigan.
- In order for you to be eligible for a Michigan Builders License, you must be 18 years of age. You will have to pass the "Business and Law" and the "Practice/Trade" portions of the Michigan contractors license examination. As of June 1, 2008, those who wish to obtain a Michigan Contractors License must complete 60 hours of approved classroom hours BEFORE they are allowed to take the Michigan contractors test.
Click here to take your Michigan Builders License course In Class
Click here to take your Michigan Builders License course as a Home Study
- Once you have passed both portions of the Michigan Contractors exam, you may apply for your Michigan Builders License. The total cost for your initial license and fees is $105.00 (this also includes a one-time application fee of $15, a one-time $50 Construction Lien Recovery Fund fee, and $40 for the first annual license fee. Once you have received your initial Michigan Builders License, it only costs $40 annually in renewal fees to maintain your license.
Prelicensure Education Requirements for Residential Builder and Maintenance & Alteration Contractor Applicants
Beginning June 1, 2008, an applicant for a Residential Builder or Maintenance & Alteration Contractor license must complete 60 hours of approved prelicensure education prior to taking the examination or submitting a license application to the Department.
Our 60 hour Michigan state approved prelicensure courses include at least 6 hours in each subject below:
1. Business Management, Estimating, and Job Costing (6 Hours)
2. Design and Building Science (6 hours)
3. Contracts, Liability, and Risk Management (6 hours)
4. Marketing and Sales (6 hours)
5. Project Management and Scheduling (6 hours)
6. The Michigan Residential Code (6 hours)
7. MIOSHA Construction Safety Standards (6 hours)
8. The rest of the 18 hours can come from other topics on the approved course list
Call to register! - 800-861-7325 (M-F 9 a.m.-5 p.m.)
According to Michigan.gov/builders, after an applicant has completed the 60 hour builders prelicensure education requirement, he or she may obtain an Individual Residential Builder and Maintenance & Alteration Contractor License Application on the Builders website under "Forms & Publications". The Michigan builders license application must be submitted with a copy of the official certificate(s) of completion given to you by the course provider for each course you have completed. The certificate(s) must document 60 hours of approved prelicensure contractor courses. A course will not be accepted without the certificate(s) attached to the application.Michigan Builders Licensure Requirements for a Residential Builder and Maintenance & Alteration Contractor
- Successfully complete 60 hours of approved contractor prelicensure education;
- Submit an Individual Residential Builder and Maintenance & Alteration Contractor License Application and the application fee, and copies of the official certificate(s) of completion given by the course provider for each course completed;
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Be financially stable;
- Be of good moral character; and
- Successfully complete the Residential Builder or Maintenance & Alteration Contractor examination once all other requirements are met.
Individual Residential Maintenance & Alteration Contractor License Application
Individual Residential Builder License Application
BuildersLicenseMichigan.com offers Michigan builders courses for contractors in the following metropolitan Detroit cities. Construction courses in Lapeer • Livingston • Macomb • Oakland • St. Clair • Wayne • Genesee • Monroe • Washtenaw • Detroit • Hamtramck • Highland Park • Canton Township • Clinton Township • Dearborn • Livonia • Sterling Heights • Troy • Warren • Westland • Dearborn Heights • Farmington Hills • Grosse Pointe • Macomb Township • Novi • Pontiac • Redford Township • Rochester Hills • Royal Oak • Saint Clair Shores • Shelby Township • Southfield • Taylor • Waterford Township • West Bloomfield • Ann Arbor • Brighton • Flint • Howell • Lapeer • Monroe • Port Huron • Redford Township • Windsor, Ontario • Southeast Michigan Flint/Tri-Cities • The Thumb • Northwest Ohio